Don't Know Futurama? 5 Reasons Why You Actually Do!
An irreverant take on science fiction combined with goofy humor, and more hard science than you can wrap your puny head around. Nope, it's not Rick & Morty; it's Futurama. And guess what?! SYFY is its new home! Good news everyone!!! Starting on 11/11 You'll be able to watch every episode ever on your boob tube, and all of Season 1 (for you fancy digital folks) right here.
What's that you say. You don't know anything about Futurama?! The Planet Express has sailed on a show that's been off the air for 4 years? Well, bite our shiny metal asses! It's simply not true! Futurama will live on in the form of episodes, galleries, blogs (this one included) and the highest form of culture: memes.
But the truth is that whether you're a fan of Futurama or not, you actually know plenty about the show. Even without watching a single episode, Futurama has taken over your brain like an unassuming hypnotoad. Don't believe us? Here are the random and not-so-random ways in which Futurama has taken over pop culture:
- MEMES Like it or not you've probably used one of these Futurama memes in your everyday life, and if not you've probably see your over-sharing aunt on Facebook post one. Can't find a good meme to use? Why not Zoidberg?
- QUOTES There's no better way to show your dedication to a show, or fake like you actually have a non-derivative sense of humor, than by quoting a television show you like. Below are a few examples of quotes you've most likely heard from your friends who have an underdeveloped sense of maturity and/or wit.
"Feelings are dumb and should be hated"
"Good News, Everyone!"
"Oh wait, you're serious! Let me laugh even harder"
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
""You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"
"I have no strong feelings one way or the other"
- THE SIMPSONS No other animated series has had more of an effect on pop culture than Matt Groening's slice of bombastic Americana. If you're not familiar with The Simpons than you should probably just give up on television; you lost. You fail television? That's unpossible! Futurama is its own beast, no doubt; but we'd be remiss if we didn't mention that it comes from the same remarkable mind that said, "Don't make me run I'm full of chocolate."
- THE COSPLAY Futurama is filled with iconic characters with a visual aesthetic that was instantly recognizable to anyone familiar with The Simpsons. That means that for the past 17 years, Cons across the country have been filled with Frys, Leelas, Zoidbergs, Benders, Hedonismbots, etc. Do yourself a favor a google Futurama Cosplay and then watch this insane video to get a sense of the dedication people have for the show.
- THE REFERENCES Yes, Futurama has been off the air for 4 years. It premiered over 15 years ago, but it continues to pulsate and thrive like a young show just coming into its prime. It's been on FOX, and Comedy Central, and Netflix, and Hulu, and now ... finally ... SYFY. Futurama has remained within the (get ready for an SAT word) cutural zeitgeist ever since being off the air. Shows like Adventure Time, and Rick & Morty, owe much of their success to the offbeat, heavyscience fiction that Futurama tread new ground in whetting American's appetite for.
So here's the bottom line, whether you're a superfan, you've caught a few episodes on Netflix, or you're a total Futurama newb; the show is worth watching and rewatching for the 100th time or the first time. It's a funny, razor-sharp show that has a surprising amount of heart. Don't say we didnt' warn you when you see Jurassic Bark for the first or even 1000th time. The tears with floweth.