Quantum Cocktails, Part 6: The Epic
Like a taste that tingles? Then this drink is for you! An electrifying effect on the palate, Szechwan Buzz Buttons are taking the culinary world by storm. This unique edible flower actually stimulates saliva and taste buds with its refreshing cool cleansing and tingling effect. Some say it is like licking a 9-volt battery...in a good way!
Recipe courtesy of Devon Espinosa
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Lavender Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- Soda water
- 1 tablespoon Pop Rocks
- 1 Szechwan Buzz Button Flower
- In a small container, combine the lemon juice, lavender simple syrup and soda. Cover and keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Pour the Pop Rocks into a rimmed glass and garnish with buzz button. May be served over ice or straight up. Any of your favorite spirits will work well to make into an adult beverage.
- Cook's Note: Buzz Buttons can be substituted with a fresh crack of Szechwan peppercorn to top the drink.
Simple syrup can easily be enhanced with your favorite herbs and one of my favorites is lavender. This little purple flower is ideal for adding an aromatic flavor to any drink. Use dried lavender, which you can find at most natural food or herb grocers.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried lavender flowers
- Combine the sugar, water, and lavender in a pot over medium heat. Gently boil for 2 minutes, swirling the pot over the heat, until the sugar is totally dissolved and the liquid becomes clear. Do not allow the syrup to boil or get dark. Cool the syrup completely. Strain the syrup into a container to remove the lavender. Lavender simple syrup can be stored in the refrigerator indefinitely kept in a covered container.