Quantum Cocktails, Part 2: Love Potion
Infusing your favorite spirit is a simple, delicious way to add a twist to every cocktail when entertaining. With a little time and imagination, the possibilities are endless. For this love potion, the seductive smell of cilantro and fiery heat of chiles make this libation the ultimate aphrodisiac.
Recipe courtesy of Devon Espinosa
- 2 Serrano chiles
- 1 bottle tequila blanco
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Serrano chile-infused tequila blanco
- To infuse the tequila, slice 2 Serrano or jalapeño chilies lengthwise and put in the bottle of tequila. Secure the cap of the bottle and set aside in a cool place for 2 days.
- In a martini shaker or wide glass, combine the cilantro, simple syrup, and lime juice. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the fresh dragon fruit into the shaker. Using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, smash and crush everything together to release the juice. When you have some nice juice in there, add a handful or two of ice.
- Fill with 2 ounces of the chile-infused tequila and shake vigorously to combine and break up the ice into shards. Strain the cocktail into a collins glass filled with ice. Garnish with cilantro sprigs—lime wedges and all.
- NOTE: If pressed for time, alternatively instead of infusing the tequila, muddle a few slices of chile with cilantro and shake with the remaining ingredients.