Get to Know Olympus' King, Graham Shiels
Monday, May 25, 2015 - 07:00
On the show, he's arrogrant, agressive and prone to fits of rage but in real life, Graham Shiels (King Aegeus) is a gentle giant. Get to know him!
- Favorite book of all time: Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda. It's a book of miracles that blew my mind. One of the top ten selling spiritual books of all time. George Harrison used to pass it out after Beatles concerts.
- Dream job (besides acting): A modeling agent specializing in Victoria's Secret Angels.
- TV show I'm sort of ashamed to admit I watch but will watch anyway: The Nanny starring Fran Drescher. Not only is it funny and she's an incredibly talented comedic actress, she's sexy as heck!
- Biggest fear: Sky-diving would freak me out, even doing the tandem kind because I guarantee I'd be bigger than the guy assigned to me.
- Most embarrassing moment ever (and yes, we're asking you to share it): High school Vocal Jazz Choir trip to San Jose, California for a music festival. Bus loads of 16 year olds staying in motels all up and down the West Coast. No actual sleep going on whatsoever. Cut to the day of the big festival in San Jose and my friend Kirk and I are simply exhausted. Perhaps hung-over. We have about two hours before our jazz choir's set. We're looking around the hosting school for a private room to take a nap in. We find a small ante-chamber/closet to a large, empty warm-up room. This ante-chamber/closet is like a college dorm room like 8' by 6'. There are two chairs in it. We sit in the chairs, close the doors, it's pitch black. Perfect. Nap on! Awesome. But… voices start coming into the outer larger room the room we're in is attached to. There's no other exit door to our room. More and more people start coming in. It's an all girl's choir about to warm up for their set. Their teacher/director starts approaching our door and mutters "Hmmm what's in here?" I put my hand on the doorknob trying to prevent him from opening the door. A small Neil Simon-esque door wrestle happens then I just let go. Light floods our napping paradise. 50 sixteen year-old girls and their director are speechless, mouths agape as two 16 year old boys exit a dark closet without saying a word.
- Nickname? Graminator, Grambo, G-star…
- Dance move you are really good at: The Worm
- Proudest moment: I co-wrote, co-produced, co-directed, and starred in a comedic play called Three Men and a Mop for a fringe theatre festival. One performance my dad came to. This play ended up being a surprise hit of the festival and was very funny. There was a moment in my performance I caught my dad's eye while he was chuckling so hard his face was red.
- Which Smurf are you (Brainy Smurf, Vanity Smurf, etc)? I would be Scary-but-Nice Smurf.
- What was your most original Halloween costume? I made a Barney (the purple dinosaur) from scratch one year. I was the hit of the party. It was epic.
- Was there a particular movie/tv show (or role within) that made you want to become an actor? If so, what was it? I was always enamored with Bruce Willis in Moonlighting. The writing on that series was just top shelf. Glenn Gordon Caron. And Bruce Willis' performance hit every color in every episode: funny, charismatic, cocky, vulnerable, romantic, touching… there's no surprise it launched him to stardom.
- What non-life threatening disease would make a good name for a child? Rosacea for a girl, Vertigo for a boy
- What's your porn name (It's the name of your first pet and the name of the street you grew up on combined)? Sergeant Grenview
- Where is the last place in the world you'd want to run into Ryan Seacrest? The showers at a YMCA
- Which Muppet would you want to be eaten by and which would you want to hang out with? Who wouldn't want to be eaten by Animal???!!! But I wanna hang out with Gonzo the Great! Being from the circus I would imagine he'd have some amazing stories.
- If you met Bea Arthur, what would your reaction be – joy, terror or both? Considering she's deceased it would be terror. I was a bellman at the Paramount Hotel in NYC in 1999. She was a guest, apparently, and one night she wandered in at about 3:30am, alone, barefoot… she would've been 77 at the time. I would've been her sugar baby.
- Which sitcom house would you want to live in and why? As a teenage boy you couldn't have beat The Facts of Life. As a man I'd have to go with Designing Women.
- What's a hidden or quirky talent you have (i.e. typing with your toes, etc)? Memorized commercial jingles from the 80's.
- What's your biggest pet peeve? People who use handicap parking placards who clearly don't need them.
- What movie do you think is really overrated? Anything Star-Trek.
- What Disney Princess do you think is secretly a real bitch? I'm from LA. All princesses are bitches.
- Celebrity best friend in your head? Mandy Patinkin
- If you were born the opposite sex, what was your name going to be (if you don't know, what would you WANT it to be)? I'd want my female name to be Scotland. Scotland Shiels. Where I'm from, too.
- What time do you usually wake up in the morning? Shamefully late—9am.
- What's a song (and artist) you can listen to six times in a row and never get sick of? "Trois Gymnopidie" by Erik Satie
- If You've Seen This Movie: Which Big Business twin are you – City Bette Midler, City Lily Tomlin, Country Bette Midler or Country Lily Tomlin? Never seen the film. Now I have to. Spitballing here—City Lily Tomlin?