When Donald Glover landed the role of Lando Calrissian in the as-yet-untitled young Han Solo standalone film, it was a big moment for him. The first toy his father ever bought him? Lando Calrissian from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. The actor, coming full circle, has a lot to be excited for with regards to the next Star Wars film.
Of course, in the wake of June's big news that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller had been removed from the project, suddenly it seemed like the Han Solo movie was careening and twisting through space like Darth Vader's TIE after the explosion of the first Death Star. In a far-reaching (and must-read) profile in THR, Glover addressed the switch, likening it to being a child of divorce, while also saying he thinks Howard has everything under control.
"Ron is such a legend, and he knows exactly what the vision for what he is doing is … [but Phil and Chris] hired us, so you sort of feel like, 'I know I'm not your first choice …' And you worry about that," he said. "To be honest, I don't know exactly what happened. I feel like I was the baby in the divorce, or the youngest child. The oldest child is like, 'We know what's happening, but we are keeping you out of it.' And I'm just like, [Glover's voice rises several octaves] 'Was that scene good? How did you feel?'"
Still, Glover is excited about jumping into the role of Lando and bringing him back to the big screen, even if he's looking at the character more intensely than originator Billy Dee Williams ever did. Glover even said he felt more prepared than ever going into Han Solo.
"There are people on these movies who didn't grow up with Star Wars. Me? I know everything about it. I didn't have to do any research," he said.
Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (not final title) is filming now under director Ron Howard for a May 25, 2018 release.