George R.R. Martin reveals new Game of Thrones projects are prequels, not spinoffs

Contributed by
May 15, 2017

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin has come out of the woodwork to give us some interesting info about the various potential spinoff series currently in development at HBO.

In an extensive post over at his Not A Blog Livejournal page, Martin has confirmed the spinoffs (a term Martin says he doesn’t, like so he calls them “successors”) will feature new stories set in the “secondary universe” of Westeros and the rest of the world created for A Song of Ice and Fire.

He also confirmed all of the potential series will be prequels rather than sequels (and that the number has increased from four to five), saying: “so all of you who were hoping for the further adventures of Hot Pie are doomed to disappointment.” On another interesting note, Martin says some of them may not be set in Westeros. Could we actually be exploring the history of the Targaryens in Old Valyria? I’d be down for that! Here’s what Martin said:

Yes, I am involved, and have been for months. I had my first meeting with HBO about the possibility of a successor show back in August, when I pitched them two possible series. (One of those is among the concepts being developed, one is not). In the months that followed, other writers were brought in and pitched other ideas. Ultimately HBO decided to go ahead with four separate developments, to be written by Max Borenstein, Jane Goldman, Brian Helgeland, and Carly Wray.

It was stated in some of the reports that I am working with two of the four writers. That's not quite right. I've actually been working with all four of the writers. Every one of the four has visited me here in Santa Fe, some of them more than once, and we've spent days together discussing their ideas, the history of Westeros and the world beyond, and sundry details found only in The World of Ice & Fire and The Lands of Ice & Fire.

And there's more. We had four scripts in development when I arrived in LA last week, but by the time I left we had five. We have added a fifth writer to the original four. No, I will not reveal the name here. HBO announced the names of the first four, and will no doubt announce the fifth as well, once his deal has closed. He's a really terrific addition, however, a great guy and a fine writer, and aside from me and maybe Elio and Linda, I don't know anyone who knows and loves Westeros as well as he does.

Some of the reports of these developments seem to suggest that HBO might be adding four successor shows to the schedule to replace GAME OF THRONES. Decades of experience in television and film have taught me that nothing is ever really certain... but I do think it's very unlikely that we'll be getting four (or five) series. At least not immediately. What we do have here is an order for four -- now five -- pilot scripts. How many pilots will be filmed, and how many series might come out of that, remains to be seen. (If we do get five series on the air, I might have to change my name to Dick Direwolf).

What Martin also revealed is that HBO is NOT doing Dunk & Egg, nor are they going to touch on Robert's Rebellion — which will be a huge bummer for many fans, I’m sure, myself included — but he explains why in details on his site, so I invite you to read it. There you have it. What do you guys think?

(via Not A Blog)