Forget Throwback Thursdays: Writer-director James Gunn jumped the gun on that, throwing things back on Wednesday to the first Guardians of the Galaxy and revealing what songs he played on the set. Surprisingly, "Awesome Mix Vol. 0" is not a collection of classic rock, disco, and R&B songs from the 1960s and '70s, but a curious roster of rap, hard rock, and gypsy punk tracks by musical artists like Andrew W.K., Gogol Bordello, My Chemical Romance, and Pigeon John.
"I finally got around to making a @Spotify playlist of Awesome Mix Vol. 0, the secret, personal mix I made to play on the set of @Guardians Vol. 1, especially for the drunken partying scenes in the Boot of Jemiah. Enjoy!" wrote Gunn on Twitter.
The full track listing includes:
- "Never Wanted To Dance" by Mindless Self Indulgence
- "Party Hard by Andrew W.K.
- "The Way It Was" (Feat. Bionik) by Aceyalone
- "I Like It, I Love It" by Lyrics Born
- "Let’s Dance to Joy Division" by The Wombats
- "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello
- "Ben Vereen" by Pigeon John
- "Teenagers" by My Chemical Romance
- "Black List" (Feat. Juskwan) by Lyrikill
- "Timebomb" by Old 97’s
The playlist's description from Gunn reads:
"This is the mix I made to listen to while filming the first Guardians of the Galaxy. It played all the time while we were shooting the bar scene in the Boot of Jemiah on Knowhere."
You can probably expect a bunch of modern songs to be included in Guardians Vol. 3 (slated for a 2020 release) since Peter got a Zune ('memba those?) by the end of Vol. 2. With the capacity for hundreds of songs, there's really no limit to what we might hear.
Now let us observe a moment of silence for Star-Lord's Walkman, which was crushed by his father, Ego...