Marvel TV boss Jeph Loeb says 'we didn't cancel' Agent Carter

Contributed by
Jan 17, 2017

Agent Carter fans received a crushing blow last May when the Marvel series got the ax after the show's future had been left in doubt for months. 

The show had been struggling in the ratings despite being better than its parent series, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (although Season 4 has been totally killing it so far). Fans loved Agent Carter, but the main problem was not enough people actually tuned in to see the adventures of Captain America's best girl, along with Edwin Jarvis (James D'Arcy), Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) and the rest of the SSR team. So Agent Carter was canceled, ending the series on a massive cliffhanger and leaving a lot of unanswered questions .

In a recent interview with Entertainment Weekly about Marvel’s upcoming Netflix team-up series, The Defenders, Marvel head of TV Jeph Loeb opened up about Agent Carter's cancellation, putting the blame squarely on ABC's shoulders

"Unlike the movie studio where they can say, 'In 2019 we’re making Captain Marvel,' the television division doesn't have that ability," Loeb said apologetically. "We are, at the end of the day, beholden to the network that we're on. So for all of you Agent Carter fans out there, we didn't cancel the show."

There you have it. While it looks like Marvel wanted to keep Agent Carter around, ABC decided against renewing the struggling series for at least a third and final season. While Peggy Carter (and Marvel) knew her value, it's clear ABC didn't. 

(via EW)