In the days since Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Peter Laird and pretty much the whole Internet blasted a leaked script from his already-on-shaky-ground TMNT reboot flick, Michael Bay's been largely quiet. But he has finally weighed in on the script, and his chief message seems to be that, while it may be terrible, it's definitely not his fault.
Bay took to his official forum Wednesday to diffuse some of the Internet anger by assuring everyone that the script that's been making the rounds definitely had nothing to do with him. In fact, he ditched it right away, so you definitely shouldn't be angry with him.
"The leaked script for Ninja Turtles that different sites continue to comment on was written well before I, or anyone at Platinum Dunes [Bay's production company], was involved with the project.
"That script saw the shredder a long time ago.
"This is tired, old news -- Wait for the movie!
Over at Latino Review, it's pointed out that the leaked script is dated January 30, 2012, and Bay's been attached to the flick since 2010. So there's a chance that the document only recently "saw the shredder," but at least Bay seems to understand that it's probably for the best that this thing is never filmed.
This also marks the third time this year that Bay's attempted to placate fans, and the second time he's done it by passing blame to someone else. First, after rumors circulated that the turtles would become aliens for this flick, Bay told us all to "chill" because we hadn't seen the script (in the leaked script, by the way, they definitely were aliens). Then he acknowledged that the title had been changed to simply Ninja Turtles, but said that was all Paramount's fault. Now he's claiming a script for a movie he's producing, apparently dated just seven months ago, has nothing to do with him or the version of the movie he's making.
We can trust Michael Bay, right? It's not like he's ever done anything bad to a beloved franchise from the 1980s before ...
(Via Latino Review)