Every month, SYFY WIRE will be bringing you the solicitations for all the upcoming comic books you need to know about. Today we have Oni Press listings for November 2017 single-issue comics, trade paperbacks and hardcover collections.
Some of our genre Oni Press Picks of November include:
• Soulwind hardcover: The creativity of writer-artist and Pixar story supervisor and storyboarder Scott Morse has no boundaries, and if you were hip to one of his earliest stories, you'd have come across Soulwind, a tale about a magical sword that spanned time and space. This was originally released by Image, then in separate graphic novel collections through Oni and finally a giant trade paperback edition. Now this mammoth 520-page epic of science fiction, fantasy, mythology, adventure pulp, and fairy tale is going back to print as a hardcover edition several years later and would add greatly to any bookshelf.
• Redline: If you like your science fiction lean and mean, then you should be reading this space military adventure about the human colonization of Mars mixing with the indigenous Martians. The first story arc is an investigation of an explosion, which kills nearly 70 colonists who were employed by Vantage Solutions, the corporate presence on the planet. Superintendent Coyle and his crew run the operation, and the character-driven series has echoes of Transmetropolitan, Archer, Sheriff of Babylon and Preacher all rolled into one. Neal Holman weaves a really well-paced story with strong dialogue, while artist Clayton McCormack paints a bleak and gritty view of Mars.
Check out all these listings and more below, and then let us know what comics are making it onto your pull list in the comments!
(Source: Previews Catalog)
THE ALTERED HISTORY OF WILLOW SPARKS OGN
- TARA O’CONNOR (W/A/CA) • KATY FARINA (CA)
- Willow Sparks and her best friend Georgia Pratt are at the bottom of the social ladder at Twin Pines High School, just trying to get through each day relatively unscathed. But when Willow finds a mysterious book that allows her to literally change her life, it feels like her luck is finally turning. As she becomes more and more popular with each entry into the book, her old life, including her friendship with Georgia, seems miles away. Yet as Willow will discover, every action has a reaction, and the future has unusual—even dangerous— ways of protecting itself.
- JANUARY 17 / 152 Pages / Softcover, 6” x 9” / Young Adult / Fantasy / $19.99
COURTNEY CRUMRIN, VOLUME 2: THE COVEN OF MYSTICS SC
- TED NAIFEH (W/A/CA) • WARREN WUCINICH (C)
- Courtney Crumrin has learned a lot about magic after moving in with her great uncle Aloysius, and her education is far from over. Enter the Coven of Mystics, Hillsborough’s mystical council, who ensure witches and wizards don’t abuse their powers. Though sometimes things fall out of their jurisdiction… and when a night creature is blamed for crimes against the community, they’ll do everything in their power to see justice done. Only one problem—the creature is innocent. But can Courtney find the real culprit before the Coven intervenes?
- JANUARY 24 / 144 Pages / Softcover, 6” x 9” / All Ages / Fantasy / $12.99
DEAD OF WINTER #4
KYLE STARKS (W) • GABO (A/C) • BRIAN HURTT (CA) • BILL CRABTREE (CA)
In this, the most thrilling of chapters, our heroes descend upon a police station to save a captured comrade, an apocalyptic psychotic goes to war against everyone, zombies zombies everywhere, and, yes, sweet friends, your new favorite hero, Sparky the Super Dog saves the day and we all learn not only what it takes to be a hero but exactly why that dog hates zombies so much.
NOVEMBER 15 / 32 Pages / Mature / Humor, Horror / $3.99
HEARTTHROB, SEASON TWO #5
CHRISTOPHER SEBELA (W) • ROBERT WILSON IV (A/CA) • NICK FILARDI (C/CA)
Love is patient. Callie is trying to be while she plans a robbery that’s bigger than anything Mercer has ever seen. But as the FBI comes north in search of her, everyone she knows turns their backs on her. Callie will have to decide if loving Mercer is worth the price, especially when she finds out the truth about who and what he really is.
NOVEMBER 8 / 32 Pages / Mature / Crime / $3.99
KAIJUMAX, SEASON THREE #5
- ZANDER CANNON (W/A/C/CA)
- Under the new leadership of Hellmoth, members of the Cryptid Supremacist gang doggedly seek to uncover the identity of the one who turned state’s evidence, while the Creature from Devil’s Creek comes to understand how hollow the warden’s promise of witness protection really was. The compromised prison physician Dr. Zhang has finally escaped all suspicion for sneaking in contraband uranium, and life for her and her inmate paramour Zonn has gotten much calmer… perhaps too calm. Also: Ethical quandaries! Classic evil spirit banishment! An ill-considered attack! And… “You and me, let’s take a walk.”
- NOVEMBER 8 / 32 Pages / Mature / Sci-fi / $3.99
INVADER ZIM #25
- ERIC TRUEHEART (W) • WARREN WUCINICH (A/CA) • FRED C. STRESING (C)
- COVER B ILLUSTRATED BY JARRETT WILLIAMS
- The climactic battle begins! Wait, no… ZIM’s been captured, so… THE CLIMACTIC BEING-CAPTURED BEGINS! Now a prisoner of VIROOZ, ZIM has a lot to answer for. Questions so burning, we wouldn’t think of spoiling them here. But now ZIM must fight for his life on a barren world against an enemy who’s really, really disappointed in him. Part four of a four-part story!
- NOVEMBER 11 / 32 Pages / All Ages / Humor, Sci-fi / $3.99
MADE MEN #3
- PAUL TOBIN (W) • ARJUNA SUSINI (A/CA) • GONZALO DUARTE (C/CA)
- Jutte sends her Made Men out on a wide variety of dangerous missions, all working towards the same goal—digging up any dirt on chief of police Hubert Grange, who may have ordered the hit that murdered her squad in the first place. Hadry’s on surveillance, while Ex, Gemini, and Leo work intel. And as for Jutte? Well, hell, now it’s her turn to get laid.
- NOVEMBER 15 / 32 Pages / Mature / Action, Humor / $3.99
NIGHT’S DOMINION, SEASON TWO #4
- TED NAIFEH (W/A/C/CA)
- A new force, the Amaraddan Guard, rules the streets of Umber, forcing citizens into indentured servitude to pay fines imposed upon them. With Emerane dead and the Furie still in hiding, the city’s only hope lies with demi-god Grael. But when the Guard finds and exploits Grael’s weakness, who will be left to stop them?
- NOVEMBER 22 / 32 Pages / Mature / Fantasy, Adventure / $3.99
REDLINE TPB Volume 1
- NEAL HOLMAN (W) • CLAYTON MCCORMACK (A/CA) • KELLY FITZPATRICK (C/CA)
- MARS. The near future-ish. For now, mostly a military base, a place where people like Superintendent Denton Coyle get stuck doing the same thing every day. Until a bomb goes off, killing hundreds of humans. The easy explanation is to say the Locals did it—they haven’t been so happy with the human population moving in. But Coyle doesn’t think it’s that simple… especially after he finds a key piece of evidence linking the present events to those of his past. This hilarious and never introspective mystery should either leave you satisfied or feeling like you’re about to crap your pants. Ideally, both.
- JANUARY 31 / 128 Pages / Softcover / Mature / Sci-fi, Humor / $19.99
RICK AND MORTY #32
- PAMELA RIBON (W) • ERICA HAYES (A) • CJ CANNON (CA) • KATY FARINA (C/CA)
- COVER B ILLUSTRATED BY TERRY BLAS
- Special guest issue written by Pamela Ribon (SLAM!, Disney’s Moana) and illustrated by Erica Hayes (Rick and Morty storyboard artist)! Picking up after the events of “Raising Gazorpazorp,” Summer is in possession of a brand-new pink spaceship. After triggering the ship’s AI, Summer grows closer and closer with the ship, embarking on amazing adventures together. But there’s such a thing as too close…
- NOVEMBER 29 / 32 Pages / Teen, 16+ / Humor, Sci-fi / $3.99
RICK AND MORTY: POCKET LIKE YOU STOLE IT #5
- TINI HOWARD (W) • MARC ELLERBY (A/CA) • KATY FARINA (C/CA)
- COVER B ILLUSTRATED BY WILL KIRKBY
- Morty has made it through the labyrinth, and arrived at the Council of Ricks. Now he just has to gain entrance, defeat all the Ricks, and free all the Mortys. Should be totally doable for a Morty, or not, who cares, the multiverse is endless and nothing matters—except for the epic finale of Rick and Morty: Pocket Like You Stole It!
- NOVEMBER 22 / 32 Pages / Teen, 16+ / Humor, Sci-fi / $3.99
RICK AND MORTY VOLUME SIX TPB
- KYLE STARKS (W/A) • CJ CANNON (A/CA) • MARC ELLERBY (A/C) • KATY FARINA (C/CA) • SEAN VANAMAN (W) • OLLY MOSS (W) • BENJAMIN DEWEY (A/C) • ANDY HIRSCH (A) • RIAN SYGH (C)
- Catch up on the adventures of sociopathic genius scientist Rick Sanchez as he drags his inherently timid grandson Morty Smith on dangerous adventures across the universe! This volume features Eisner Award-nominated writer Kyle Starks (Sexcastle, Kill Them All) in collaboration with series artists CJ Cannon, Marc Ellerby, and guest artist Benjamin Dewey (The Autumnlands), plus guest writers Sean Vanaman and Olly Moss (Firewatch)!
- Watch with horror as Earth is invaded by aliens and Jerry is sent to stop them! Confront ethical conundrums when Rick clones Morty! Glue your eyeballs to interdimensional cable! All that and more in this volume of Rick and Morty comics, collecting issues #26-30 of the ongoing series!
- DECEMBER 6 / 128 Pages / Softcover / Teen, 16+ / Humor, Sci-fi / $19.99
- SCOTT MORSE (W/A/CA)
- Returning to print in a stunning new hardcover edition, Soulwind collects Scott Morse’s epic graphic novel series in a single tome. Beginning with a boy transported across the universe to retrieve a legendary sword, and ending with an old woman unraveling the true account of creation, Soulwind is a tale of ancient myth, classic fairy tales, modern pulp, and futuristic adventure with incredible heart.
- JANUARY 17 / 520 Pages / Hardcover, 6” x 9” / Teen / Sci-fi, Fantasy / $39.99