Halloween is usually when sci-fi, fantasy and horror TV shows take the terror up a notch. In celebration of this—and for the 7th of our 31 posts for the 31 days of Halloween—here are 51 of our favorite special Halloween episodes of beloved TV shows.
1. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Halloween"
This episode features many references to Stephen King novels, but still nothing's scarier than Al jumping at you out of nowhere.
28. Reaper, "Leon" (2007)
A little-known side benefit of being a vampire is never needing to shop for a Halloween costume.
35. Bewitched, "Twitch or Treat" (1966)
As a witch, Samantha must constantly resist the urge to lure trick-or-treaters into her oven.
36. Charmed, "Kill Billie: Vol I" (2005)
When you're a witch you still need a Halloween costume, because "hag" just doesn't look sexy.
37. Ghost Hunters, "Stanley Hotel Halloween Special" (2006)
You'd think there would be one or two "fame whore" ghosts that would want to appear on camera as much as they could.
38. The Vampire Diaries, "Haunted" (2009)
Perhaps the biggest horror is how vampires have been totally nerfed in the last five years.
39. Bewitched, "The Safe and Sane Halloween" (1967)
The use of "safe and sane" in the title makes us wonder if a tipsy Samantha recently crashed her broomstick.
40. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, "A River of Candy Corn Runs Through It" (1997)
Beth Broderick played a 500-year-old, but she didn't look a day over 55.
41. The Vampire Diaries, "Masquerade" (2010)
Do vampires even like Halloween candy? We would expect tooth decay to be a top concern for them.
42. 3rd Rock from the Sun, "Scaredy Dick" (1997)
How come aliens in TV shows always want to observe us? Are they trying to learn the secrets of not having interstellar travel?
43. Ghost Hunters, "Waverly Hills Sanatorium Halloween Special" (2007)
This celebrates the year when, instead of treats, everyone gave each other tuberculosis.
44. The New Addams Family, "Halloween With the Addams Family" (1998)
Even with turn-of-the-millennium technology, we still can't give a body to Thing.
45. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, "A Halloween Story" (1996)
Instead of decorating for Halloween, witches can just let the spiders in their house run free, spinning webs for the sixth months prior to the holiday.
46. Wizards of Waverly Place, "Halloween" (2009)
It takes bewitched magic to have a residential place in Greenwich Village.
47. The Addams Family, "Halloween, Addams Style" (1965)
The best costume is when Cousin It pulls his hair into a ponytail, and no one recognizes his real face.
48. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, "Fear, Itself" (1999)
Self-loathing slayers dress as vampires for Halloween.
49. Bewitched, "Trick or Treat"
The entire show's premise is dated: Anyone with sorcery powers would obviously get their own reality TV show, today.
50. Ghost Hunters, "Fort Delaware Halloween Special" (2008)
They try to track down the ghosts that spirited all of the fun out of Delaware.
51. Bewitched: "To Trick or Treat or Not to Trick or Treat" (1969)
If you're talking about Samantha's house, the answer is, "Not to trick or treat." All you get is astronaut ice cream and eye of newt cookies.