Solo star says Ron Howard reshot 'a lot more than was originally intended'

Contributed by
Dec 22, 2017

We're nearing the end of 2017, which means it's time to start thinking more and more about the entertainment options available to us in 2018. One of the biggest is Solo: A Star Wars Story, Lucasfilm's exploration of the earlier years of that lovable scoundrel Han Solo. So far, apart from a few Twitter teasers from director Ron Howard (who stepped in to replace Phil Lord and Chris Miller at the last minute), we don't really know a lot about where the film will take us. Now, co-star Paul Bettany is offering a few clues.

Bettany, who reportedly joined the film after Howard was hired, isn't telling us who he's playing, but he does offer up some hints about the plot. As you may have predicted, Solo -- who spends a lot of time in wretched hives of scum and villainy -- will be a part of a "caper" story, with Bettany as a gangster-type character. 

"It's Han Solo's story, and of course his story would be a caper," Bettany told TotalFilm (via GamesRadar). "On one level it's a gangster movie. That's really interesting, because it's within the canon but really different. It's f---ing Han Solo!"

Bettany also talked briefly about how Howard integrated himself into the project after months of Lord and Miller shooting. It's been an open question just how much of the film will be Howard and how much will belong to the previous creative team. According to Bettany, Howard did more than expected. 

"I think he went in and he was like a laser, working out what needed to be done when he looked at the footage," Bettany said. "And then, as things moved on, everybody felt so secure with him. And they gave him more. He reshot a lot more than was originally intended."

Solo: A Star Wars Story arrives in about five months, so hopefully we'll see some of the footage soon.