You do it, we do it, everyone we know does it: quote our favorite comics, movies, TV shows, music, etc. whenever possible to the great annoyance of our friends and family. Our current favorite phrase: "No matter where you go, there you are."
Well, Wired magazine has come up with what it calls "The 100 Quotes Every Geek Should Know." We've helpfully posted the first 10 below.
We're not sure we completely agree with some of these, but some certainly measure up. What do you think? And what's your favorite quote of the day?
(Click over to Wired to see the full list.)
1. "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." —Dennis the Peasant, Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2. "Three rings for the Elven kings under the sky, seven for the Dwarf lords in their halls of stone, nine for the mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne, in the land of Mordor where the shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring the bring them all, and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie." —The Lord of the Rings
3. "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that." —HAL, 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. "Spock. This child is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth. Now, what do you suggest we do ... .spank it?" —Dr. McCoy, Star Trek: The Motion Picture
5. "With great power there must also come—great responsibility." —Amazing Fantasy #15 (August 1962)
6. "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." —Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Q Who?"
7. "Five-card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit" —Captain Jean-Luc Picard, uttering the last line of the series, Star Trek: The Next Generation "All Good Things ..."
8. "If you think that by threatening me you can get me to do what you want ... well, that's where you're right. But—and I am only saying that because I care—there's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing." —Chris Knight, Real Genius
9. "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog." —John Winger, Stripes
10. "If I'm not back in five minutes, just wait longer." —Ace Ventura, Ace Ventura, Pet Detective