The votes are in, and Rotten Tomatoes has announced the most anticipated movie of the summer. Surprise, surprise — it’s a sci-fi flick.
With everything from Guardians of the Galaxy to Amazing Spider-Man 2 on the way, there are a lot of potential options for the top prize. But it seems moviegoers have some nostalgia this summer for the return of a classic comic franchise. The winner: X-Men: Days of Future Past, which is bringing the fan-fave mutants back to the big screen.
Considering it's been a few years since the original X-Men cast were all together on the big screen, it seems fans are chomping at the bit to see the classic team join up with the First Class prequel cast for one of the most iconic X-Men stories in comic history. It also shows that, even though it’s not Marvel Studios outright, the Marvel properties are absolutely killing it these days.
Bryan Singer’s return to the X-Men franchise narrowly beat out Amazing Spider-Man 2 at second place, with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in fourth, Guardians of the Galaxy at fifth, Godzilla at sixth, Tranformers: Age of Extinction at ninth and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s Hercules at 10th place.
All told, seven of the top 10 most anticipated films of the summer are bona fide sci-fi flicks. Not bad. Just looking at this list, it might not be a bad idea to invest in one of those refillable multiplex popcorn buckets. Just sayin’.
Check out the full list below:
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (100%, 110,869 votes).
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (99%, 98,643 votes).
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 (99%, 79,900 votes).
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (99%, 62,130 votes).
- Guardians of the Galaxy (99%, 42,476 votes).
- Godzilla (99%, 34,533 votes).
- 22 Jump Street (99%, 27,022 votes).
- Neighbors (99%, 10,474 votes).
- Tranformers: Age of Extinction (98%, 103,792 votes).
- Hercules (98%, 34, 433 votes).
Is Days of Future Past on your list? What's your most anticipated movie of summer 2014? Let us know in the comments!
(Via Rotten Tomatoes)