On one of the most nail-biting episodes of Viral Video Showdown yet, we witnessed the cerebral writing of the viral video team Poykpak versus the Nintendo/Nickelodeon-inspired stylings of Dr. Cool Sex. This week's challenge was to take a well-known fairytale and give it a modern twist. Each team had their choice of three fairytales: "Hansel and Gretel," 'Jack and the Beanstalk," and "Goldilocks and the Three Bears."
Dr. Cool Sex decided to give the classic Jack story a post-apocalyptic sci-fi spin in "Jack 2.0" while Poykpak went for the thinking man's joke with witches from Hansel and Gretel selling candy houses to other witches in "Candy Home Shopping Channel." Deep stuff there! Both teams faced challenges in their post-production process: Dr. Cool Sex had to deal with a sometimes too-detail oriented editor who took too long to edit while Poykpak experienced one technical difficulty after another. Both teams managed to get their videos submitted to the judges with just seconds to go. For Poykpak, that ended with disastrous results when an entire chunk of their video fails to render. But in the end, it was all a happy ending, despite host Kevin Pereira calling this "the toughest competition we've ever had." Poykpak lives happily ever after with the $5,000 prize for their wickedly funny writing.
Take a look at some of the most storybook moments from this week's episode.
Top Three Team Member Quotes:
1. Poykpak: "We're like the Aaron Sorkin of fart comedy."
2. Dr. Cool Sex: "I just like holograms and tin foil."
3. From Pokypak's video: "Makes fat kids fatter, faster!"
Top Three Funniest Moments:
1. Jody, mother to one of the Dr. Cool Sex team members, waves her magic technology wand and restarts their team's Internet router in the nick of time.
2. Greg's reaction when he hears his teammates of Dr. Cool Sex providing "constructive criticism" about his time management skills (or complete lack thereof) as editor.
3. Poykpak's hysterical use of "lure logs" in their video, designed to attract children by smelling like candy, crayons and "even a g-ddamned video game!"
Best Use of Tin Foil:
Dr. Cool Sex covers an entire room with tinfoil: from walls to floor to ceiling - to achieve that special sci-fi sheen.
Things got awkward when... A few seconds of Poykpak's final video featured a very dismal "Media Offline" message where a clip should have been instead.
Best Judge Quote:
Brittany, on Poykpak's writing style: "I love your brains."
Viral Video Showdown premieres Tuesday Oct 30 at 10:30/9:30c.
Contestants compete to make the best viral video.
Meet the judges for Syfy's new show 'Viral Video Showdown' and learn what they think it takes to make the best viral videos.