Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
Barry Allen is literally out of time in first retro trailer for 'Justice Society: World War II'
An ally from the present arrives in the past to kick some serious Nazi behind in the first trailer for Justice Society: World War II. When the titular team of Golden Age superheroes heads overseas to Europe (with President Roosevelt's approval, of course), they find themselves face-to-face with a modern version of Barry Allen/Flash (voiced by Doom Patrol's Matt Bomer). It's the character's first-ever encounter with the Speed Force and while his desire to get back to his own time period is important, it pales in comparison to the noble fight against fascism and Hitler's relentless war machine.
If that wasn't enough already, there also seems to be a monster tearing up a city. Is it connected to the Third Reich or does Barry's presence in the 1940s cause some sort of dimensional rift that allows the beast to come barging through?
Check out the retro, newsreel-inspired trailer below:
Armen Taylor voices the WWII-era Flash (aka "Jay Garrick"), while Stana Katic ("Wonder Woman"), Elysia Rotaru ("Black Canary"), Chris Diamantopoulos ("Steve Trevor") Omid Abtahi ("Hawkman"), Matthew Mercer ("Hourman"), Liam McIntyre ("Aquaman"), Ashleigh LaThrop ("Iris West"), Geoffrey Arend ("Charles Halstead/Advisor"), Keith Ferguson ("Dr. Fate"), and Darin De Paulan ("FDR") fill out the rest of the central voice cast.
Directed by Jeff Wamester (Disney XD's Guardians of the Galaxy TV series), the movie was written by Meghan Fitzmartin (Supernatural) and Jeremy Adams (Batman: Soul of the Dragon).
Rated PG-13 Justice Society: World War II arrives on digital (price is TBD) April 27 before hitting 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack ($39.99) May 11. The combo features an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc featuring the film in hi-definition, and a digital version of the movie. Extra features include the following:
- DC Showcase – Kamandi: The Last Boy on Earth! (New Animated Short) – Jack Kirby’s beloved DC comic creation features the last civilized teenage boy on a post-apocalyptic Earth ruled by talking animals. In this short, Kamandi and his friends Prince Tuftan of the Tiger Kingdom and humanoid mutant Ben Boxer are kidnapped by a gorilla cult dedicated to finding the reincarnation of their god, The Mighty One. Golgan, the cult’s leader, puts Kamandi’s team through a series of deadly tests to find if any of them know the secret of … The Mighty One.
- Adventures in Storytelling: Justice Society: World War II (New Featurette) – The film's creative minds chat about the methods used to produce the touchstone sequences in Justice Society: World War II.
- A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie – An advance look at the next animated film in the popular DC UniverseMovies collection, Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One.
- Look Back – Justice League vs. Teen Titans (Featurette) – A behind-the-scenes look at the making of Justice League vs. Teen Titans, a 2016 thriller that follows Damian Wayne’s induction into the Teen Titans. Complicating his training is the growing presence of Raven’s satanic, world-conquering father Trigon, whose escape plan from his inter-dimensional prison includes spreading his demonic forces across the globe, infiltrating the minds and bodies of the Justice League to do his bidding. To save the universe and prevent a literal hell on Earth, the Teen Titans must rescue – or defeat – the Justice League, and intern Trigon for all eternity.
- Look Back – Wonder Woman: Bloodlines (Featurette) – An intriguing glance into the production behind 2019’s Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, which finds Amazon Princess Diana helping a troubled young girl enlisted by a deadly organization known as Villainy, Inc., whose criminal members have their sights set on invading Themyscira. The expansive adventure is packed with brutal battles, mysterious mythology, and endless wonder!
- From the DC Vault: Justice League: “Legends, Part One”
- From the DC Vault: Justice League: “Legends, Part Two”
The regular Blu-Ray edition (also on sale May 11) will run you $29.98 and includes a Blu-ray disc with the film in hi-definition and a digital version of the movie.
Justice Society: World War II will be the second DC Animation/Warner Bros. Home Entertainment feature to be released in 2021 after Batman: Soul of the Dragon. Two more films — a two-part adaptation of Batman: The Long Halloween — are scheduled to start rolling out over the summer.