What's the worst movie of all time? Well, that depends on whom you ask. So what happens when the noted movie jokesters at RiffTrax ask their fans? Half a million votes happen, along with a list filled with disappointing sci-fi movies.
RiffTrax, in case you didn't know, is brought to you by the hilarious bunch of guys that gave us Mystery Science Theater 3000. They watch movies, mock them, then give you the mockery tracks as downloads. They're also bad movie experts, and this year they decided to convene their fans to create a "Worst Movies of All Time" list.
The RiffTrax poll overflowed with responses, more than 500,000 of them, and while famously bad movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space, Troll 2 and The Room did make the Top 25, the top five was not just all genre, but all genre from the past 20 years.
So what did RiffTrax fans pick as the worst movie ever? Well, they cheated a bit and went ahead and named the entire multi-film Twilight Saga the worst of all time. The saga, which finished up its five-film run this year, earned more than 35,000 votes in the poll. Finishing second, with nearly 28,000 votes, was noted Worst Batman Movie Ever Batman & Robin, followed closely by the dismal Catwoman (22,544 votes), Sam Raimi's disappointing Spider-Man 3 (19,152 votes) and M. Night Shyamalan's thoroughly lambasted The Last Airbender (18,086 votes).
The rest of the top 25 was also chock-full of sci-fi and fantasy flicks, including Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and X-Men: The Last Stand. And sure, all of these movies were disappointments, but were they really among the 25 worst movies ever? How does Episode I make the list, but not Episode II? Why are the works of Uwe Boll not better represented?
And why did Twilight claim the top spot? Sure, you won't find very many fans of that franchise around here, but are those flicks really the worst in the history of cinema? Really, what sins did they commit other than making vampires sparkly and ... well, now that we think about it ...
The full RiffTrax top 25 is listed below, along with the corresponding vote count. Did you vote in the RiffTrax poll? What flick do you consider the worst of all time?
25. Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (7,278 votes)
24. The Wicker Man (7,614 votes)
23. Plan 9 From Outer Space (7,696 votes)
22. Battleship (7,942 votes)
21. Manos: The Hands of Fate (8,148 votes)
20. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (8,269 votes)
19. Eragon (8,272 votes)
18. The Happening (8,286 votes)
17. The Room (8,918 votes)
16. X-Men: The Last Stand (10,341 votes)
15. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (10,353 votes)
14. Troll 2 (10,384 votes)
13. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (10,795 votes)
12. Birdemic: Shock and Terror (11,076 votes)
11. High School Musical (12,878 votes)
10. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (13,792 votes)
9. Son of the Mask (14,680 votes)
8. Jack and Jill (15,720 votes)
7. Battlefield Earth (16,138 votes)
6. Super Mario Bros. (17,755 votes)
5. Last Airbender (18,086 votes)
4. Spider-Man 3 (19,152 votes)
3. Catwoman (22,544 votes)
2. Batman and Robin (27,929 votes)
1. The Twilight Saga (35,593 votes)