On Christmas Day, a 21-year-old man from China began playing an unnamed online game at a karaoke center in Guangxi, China. Forty hours later, he was dead, proving once again that there is such a thing as gaming too much.
Why? Well, if only to serve as a reminder that gaming addiction is a real thing and online games, while not dangerous own their own, can still indirectly cause harm. There's an element here, namely that the online world is always happening. That means there's always more in the game to see and do. Couple that with an addictive personality, and it's easy to see how someone could forget about the essentials of living.
While it has been reported that the gamer did take time to eat and use the bathroom, there's no word on the content of what he ate or, indeed, if he even bothered to sleep.
So let this serve as another cautionary tale. The game will still be there when you get back.