You can re-live the virtual, neon-lit world of Tron: Legacy in your own home with a new LEGO set based on the film. You'll get figures for Sam Flynn, Quorra, and Rinzler as well as the components for Light Cycles and an Identity Disc battle. The product was actually the result of a fan's design submitted to LEGO Ideas, a website where "Master Builders" can send in ideas for new sets. If accepted, the idea goes into production, hits the shelves, and the designer gets 1 percent of all the royalties.
Tron: Legacy was a 2010 sequel to 1982's Tron, a movie with such groundbreaking computer effects it was actually considered "cheating" and barred from being a contender at the Oscars that year. The original, written and directed by Steven Lisberger, told the story of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), a software engineer who becomes stuck in the eponymous arcade game. Once there, he must team up with a friendly security program and compete in gladiatorial-style games if he wants to escape.
The film became a cult classic and a sequel was finally made nearly 30 years later. Since Legacy takes place in the 21st century, director Joseph Kosinski and writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz had to update things a bit. They focused on Kevin's son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), who enters the same virtual world where his father is being held.
Together, they join forces with Quorra, an "isomorphic algorithm"/warrior (Olivia Wilde), to prevent a malevolent computer program from reaching the outside world. While it got mixed reviews, Tron: Legacy still made $400 million against a budget of $170 million. A sequel was planned, but then halted when Disney supposedly wanted to reboot the franchise with Jared Leto.
All the pieces included in the LEGO Tron set include:
- 3 LEGO minifigures: Sam Flynn, Quorra and Rinzler.
- 2 buildable Light Cycles for Sam Flynn and Rinzler, and a Tron grid/display base.
- Sam Flynn’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features, and assorted translucent blue light-style elements, including power stream effects.
- Rinzler’s Light Cycle features a minifigure seat, authentic features, and assorted translucent orange light-style elements, including power stream effects.
- Tron grid/display base features 2 detachable parts, attachment points for the 2 Light Cycles, and translucent blue elements.
- Divide the grid to re-create the Light Cycle chase scene from Disney’s Tron: Legacy movie, or use it to role-play the disc battle scene with the minifigures.
- Quorra’s sword.
- Accessory elements include Sam Flynn and Quorra’s blue Identity Discs and Rinzler’s 2 orange Identity Discs. Attach the discs to the back of each minifigure.
- This construction toy includes a booklet with building instructions, information about the set’s fan creator and LEGO designers, and the lowdown on Disney’s TRON: Legacy movie and its main characters.
- Each Light Cycle measures over 1" (5cm) high, 6” (17cm) long, and 1” (4cm) wide.
- Tron grid/display base measures over 8” (22cm) wide and 3” (9cm) deep.
Continue on to the media gallery below to feast your eyes on all the upcoming Tron-LEGO goodness!