Those of us eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Hellboy movie reboot will need to wait just a while longer to see how Stranger Things’ David Harbour steps into the role made famous by Ron Perlman in Guillermo del Toro’s mid-2000s adaptations.
Via The Hollywood Reporter, Summit Entertainment is pushing back the new movie’s release date to April 12 of next year — only a week after Warner Bros. and DC Entertainment drop Shazam! in theaters. The Neil Marshall-directed Hellboy reboot originally had been slated to fire up for a Jan. 11 debut.
Original Hellboy creator Mike Mignola said earlier this year that the new movie will intentionally follow a different formula than the cinematic universe fare that’s dominated the recent box office. “The idea with this one…is much more folklore/mythology/horror, and not 'big team rushing into to do battle with whatever kind of stuff,’” he told io9.
Directed by Marshall (Game of Thrones) from a script by Mignola, Andrew Cosby, and Christopher Golden, the movie also stars Ian McShane, Milla Jovovich, and Daniel Dae Kim. Our last big-screen encounter with the heroic half-demon came a decade ago, when del Toro’s Hellboy II: The Golden Army released in 2008.
Sam Raimi fans have a new project to look forward to from the Spider-Man and Evil Dead auteur. Deadline reports that Raimi has been tapped to lead a new mobile TV venture intriguingly titled 50 States of Fear.
Details on Raimi’s new development are light, but he reportedly “will be the architect of” the new property, which will be executive produced by Tommy Coriale and Debbie Liebling for upcoming mobile TV platform NewTV.
What’s NewTV? A soon-to-launch entertainment startup from Disney alumni Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman that aims to develop short-form, TV-style shows designed with mobile phones and tablets in mind. Episode lengths for shows tailored to the format reportedly will target the 15-minute range.
This early in the process, there’s no word on when 50 States of Fear might terrorize your phone screen, so stay tuned.
Finally, TNT is shining a light on its upcoming series The Angel of Darkness, reportedly revealing House of Cards co-showrunner Frank Pugliese as the new showrunner for the new series, which comes as a sequel to TNT's The Alienist.
Via Variety, Pugliese has been tapped to lead the network’s next steps down the dark paths of the Caleb Carr novels on which Darkness, as well as its predecessor, are based. The 10-episode limited series of the Emmy-nominated The Alienist, which debuted back in January, was a big hit for the TNT, which followed up by revealing its series order for The Angel of Darkness just last month.
The new series will bring back Daniel Bruhl as Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, as well as Alienist core cast members Luke Evans and Dakota Fanning, and will follow Sara Howard (Fanning) as she seeks Kreizler’s help in tracking down the kidnapped infant daughter of a Spanish dignitary.
TNT hasn’t yet revealed a development timeline or release target for The Angel of Darkness.