HBO has revealed the names of the actors who’ll be joining the cast for the upcoming fifth season of Game of Thrones, and there are a lot of them.
As expected, there’s going to be a lot of Martells who’ll finally make their eagerly-anticipated appearance on the hit HBO fantasy series, as we’re heading to Spain Dorne for the very first time.
But there is one big name that stands out from the fray and it’s that of the A-MA-ZING Alexander Siddig (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Da Vinci’s Demons) who’ll play Doran Martell -- the Pince of Dorne and elder brother of the great (and late) Prince Oberyn Martell (Pedro Pascal), aka the Red Viper.
Siddig’s name has been bandied about before by many a Game of Thrones fan when the HBO powers-that-be were casting their nets for Oberyn, but we've got to admit that Siddig is perfect for the role of Doran Martell. PERFECT.
Below is a full breakdown of all the new casting announcements, via HBO:
Alexander Siddig as Doran Martell. Doran Martell is the ruling lord of Dorne and older brother to the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Unlike his brother, Doran is even-tempered and deliberate. Now, all of Dorne waits to see how their lord will react to his brother’s death.
Toby Sebastian as Trystane Martell. Trystane Martell is Prince Doran’s son and heir to Dorne. His father betrothed him to Myrcella Baratheon as part of the alliance offered by Tywin Lannister, then Hand of the King.
Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon. Myrcella Baratheon is officially the eldest child of Cersei Lannister and the late King Robert Baratheon, though in truth her father is Cersei’s own brother, Jaime Lannister. For years, she has been a guest and ward of Prince Doran, betrothed to his son, but her position has become tenuous with the death of Oberyn Martell, the Prince’s brother.
DeObia Oparei as Areo Hotah. Areo Hotah is the long-serving captain of Doran Martell’s palace guard, renowned for his loyalty and his longaxe.
Enzo Cilenti as Yezzan. Yezzan was an extremely wealthy slave trader before Daenerys Targaryen outlawed the slave trade.
Jessica Henwick as Nymeria (“Nym”) Sand. Nym Sand is the second eldest of the late Prince Oberyn’s bastard daughters. Her mother was an Eastern noblewoman who brought Nym up to be cultured, graceful and deadly with a whip.
Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand. Tyene Sand is the daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell by Ellaria Sand, his final paramour. Tyene is fiercer than she looks, especially with her twin daggers.
Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand. A fearsome warrior, Obara Sand is the eldest bastard daughter of the late Prince Oberyn Martell. Her mother was a Dornish peasant girl who caught the eye of the late Prince.
Jonathan Pryce as the High Sparrow. A devout and pious man, the High Sparrow came to King’s Landing to serve those forgotten by much of the world – the poor, the downtrodden and the infirm – and quickly amassed a large following. His fellow believers have swarmed over the city, ministering to the lowest and decrying the corruption of the highest.
Take a look at the Game of Thrones Season 5 -- new cast members video:
Along with the casting buzz, here are some highlights from the Game of Thrones panel:
- They lost a location this year to a man who did not want his property associated with 'Porn of Thrones.'
- When Kit Harington was asked what he did to prepare for the role, he revealed he was starting to film Season 5 on Monday, and that getting into the costume gets him into Jon Snow mode. George R.R. Martin also mentioned the hair products, which Kit agreed to.
- Natalie Dormer said she wanted to kill someone.
- Jeyne Westerling, who is Robb's book-wife, will be seen in the prologue of The Winds of Winter. The books and the TV series being two different worlds.
- Pedro Pascal said his first day on set was the cell scene with Tyrion and that it was nerve wracking and intimidating. His fight sequence came toward the end.
- About the best moments from the exciting Brienne vs. The Hound fight scene from the season four finale: Rory: "When she punched me.." Gwen: "Best moment of my life." Rory: "And when she bit my ear.." Gwen: "Second best moment of my life". (This drew lots of laughter) to which George said "Well it was a great scene. David, Dan, and Bryan Cogman have added some scenes that aren't in the book, from every season, that I've loved."
- Sophie Turner hopes that one day Sansa and Tyrion will meet again and that they could be a power couple, like Brangelina.
- Maisie Williams said that now that Arya was on her own, she was no longer attached to her identity as a Stark. "She is no one."
What do you guys think about the Game of Thrones newest cast members? Are you excited to see Alexander Siddig in the role of Prince Doran Martell? How is season five shaping up for you?
(via HBO and Winter is Coming)