Want to find out if any of your favorite Game of Thrones book characters have made the cut for the series’ fifth season?
Casting for season five on the hit HBO fantasy series is now in full swing, and information is trickling in one grain of sand at a time (or in this case, a bucket-full of sand), and, thanks to an anonymous source (thank you, Anon!), Winteriscoming has now revealed the names of the characters who have made the cut for next season.
Here are the new characters we'll get to meet, fall in love with, or — even better — may even love to hate or hate to love:
- Prince Doran Martell – Doran is described as the major new player this year, appearing in multiple episodes. The fiftysomething prince uses a wheelchair, is reclusive and rules wisely. It appears the show is looking to continue the trend it started with Pedro Pascal, and cast Latino actors for the Martell clan.
- Prince Trystane Martell – Trystane, the handsome fiance of Princess Myrcella, is being aged up to 18.
Areo Hotah - Doran’s personal bodyguard will appear throughout the season, assisting the prince with his duties. The show is particularly looking for a black actor to fill the role.
The Sand Snakes, who are Oberyn Martell’s bastard daughters (ages are from 18-25)
- Obara Sand – The eldest and most athletic Sand Snake will be having a major fight scene with a series regular character- not one who crosses her path in the books. This is an interesting change.
- Nymeria Sand – Nymeria is described as “mixed race,” with her father being the fairer Oberyn and her mother being darker skinned. The second oldest of these Sand Snakes, she’s beautiful, emotional and very strong.
The rest of the new characters:
- Tyene Sand - The youngest of the Sand Snakes that we meet uses her wits and seductive powers, and is less of a physical fighter than the other Sand Snakes. She is just as deadly as her sisters, however, but her weapon is poison.
- High Sparrow - The books’ pious head of a religious movement will be appearing in several episodes in season 5.
- Septa Unella – The show is looking for a character actress to play the imposing and unrelenting septa who spends a lot of time with a major series character next year.
- Maggy the Frog- A fortune teller in A Feast for Crows, she’ll be in one episode next year.
- Lollys Stokeworth – Just last week in “Mockingbird,” Bronn announced his intention to marry Lollys, whom Tyrion considers “dimwitted.” It looks like the sellsword will still be around next year.
- Yezzan - A sleazy Meereenese slave owner.
- The Waif – The strange child from the books that Arya encounters will likely be played by an older actress, one in her later teens, and we understand the show is specifically looking for a woman of East Asian descent for the part.
Since it's believed that Game of Thrones will be filming in Spain for next season's storyline, fans have been happily speculating that this new location would stand in for Dorne — which, from this role breakdown, is highly likely.
If we're looking at the role call, without a doubt Prince Doran, Trystane and the Sand Snakes are the most important roles to be cast for season five. However, there is one very important name that is glaringly missing from this list as of now, and it is that of Arianne Martell, Princess of Dorne and the beloved, headstrong daughter of Prince Doran. Hopefully, the role will be cast, since she is an important part of the later A Song of Ice and Fire series of books by George R.R. Martin, starting with A Feast of Crows.
It’s also interesting to note that it appears the show will only be casting three of Prince Oberyn Martell’s eight daughters (as established per the show) — which would make a bit of sense since Thrones already has so many wonderful, colorful characters to keep track of.
Are you guys excited about the new characters that'll be seen in next year's season five of Game of Thrones?