Star Wars gamers itching for news on their beloved Battlefront franchise can rejoice in unison over word of how the latest Battlefront videogame might link up to Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Disney basically wiped the gaming development slate clean after their $4 billion purchase of Lucasfilm and the Star Wars empire in 2012, halting expansions of many promising titles.
Battlefront was spared the accountant's wrath due to its widespread appeal and success in the crowded sci-fi shooter market, and scant info has trickled out on what the Mouse House may do with the Star Wars-themed game as it relates to the next roster of films.
According to Making Star Wars, however, a barrage of new rumors and story points have emerged that may bring a smile to glazed-eyed button-pushers around the globe. Besides the obvious news that the DICE-developed Battlefront campaign will span the entire Star Wars saga and feature a multitude of new spaceships and vehicles, here are the major points surrounding the game's storyline and overlap with Abrams' The Force Awakens:
- Star Wars Battlefront will feature segments in which you play as both the good guys (Old Republic, Rebellion and Republic) and bad guys (Separatists and the Empire). It was specifically stated that there will be a small portion of prequel trilogy content. You will participate in a couple of battles from Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and the space battle above Coruscant from the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.
- The majority of the campaign will take place during the original trilogy era. All of the battles and settings that you would expect to be there will be playable. It was said that the campaign itself is pretty long when compared to other first-person shooters.
- There will be some segments of the campaign which take place between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There won’t be a lot because in their words “Lucasfilm has a lot of plans for that era.”
- The last section of the campaign takes place before and during the opening segments of The Force Awakens. Don’t expect anything too revealing, because the game is expected to ship a month before the movie releases.
- For both the Republic and Empire sections you will be playing characters that actually appear in The Force Awakens.
- EA/DICE was allowed into Pinewood Studios for a few days to scan and capture props, sets, etc. for re-creation in the game.
- At one point either during the portion between episodes 6 and 7 or the portion from the beginning of The Force Awakens, a character with the last name Tarkin appears.
- The game ships with several The Force Awakens characters already, but some won’t be added until DLC. Specifically characters in the trailers will be available at launch, as will new versions of the X-wing and TIE fighter.
Published by videogame titan Electronic Arts, the exclusive creator of new Star Wars games, the third Battlefront should see its epic marketing push begin sometime before the holidays to coincide with Star Wars: The Force Awakens' December 2015 release. Are you excited to dive into Battlefront's cosmic combat action?
(Via Geek Tyrant)