Over the weekend, an intriguing story emerged that Fox’s upcoming Fantastic Four movie would no longer be undergoing a 3D release because of the extensive reshoots that had to be done; reshoots that were apparently helmed by someone other than director Josh Trank.
Superhero News claimed they heard this tidbit from multiple sources, saying it explains why the tag at the end of the newest movie trailer had been updated. Some of you may recall that at the end of the first trailer, the tag read "In RealD 3D and Digital 3D," which clearly indicated the studio planned for a 3D release. However, the tag now reads "In Premium Large Format Theaters" instead (check the pic above). Poof! No more 3D. Sources told the site that Fox chose to ax the 3D release in order to use the budget for additional reshoots, following some pretty negative responses to the superhero movie's original cut.
The site then went on to say that another source told them the reshoots that took place back in April were actually made by Fantastic Four producer and Kingsman: The Secret Service director Matthew Vaughn. But the story didn't end there, no sir! Following the posting of said story, Josh Trank took to Twitter to debunk the Vaughn rumor, saying:
@Josh_Wilding Hey Josh, not true. While MV has been very supportive, he's never been to our set. There's only been 1 director of FF2015. Me.— Josh Trank (@joshuatrank) May 24, 2015
@SuperheroNewsCB Definitely not true. I haven't even met MV in person, and there were no such test screenings.— Josh Trank (@joshuatrank) May 24, 2015
Next time you read an article, whether it's Hollywood Reporter or SuperheroNews, if they aren't naming sources: it's probably bullshit.— Josh Trank (@joshuatrank) May 24, 2015
Trank may have been quick to shut down that Matthew Vaughn rumor mill, but he has stayed mum on the whole the-cost-of-the-reshoots-have-led-Fox-to-scrap-the-3D story. Does that mean there's truth to that side of the story?
As most of you guys already know, the troubled Fantastic Four movie production has had a boatload of problems from the start, including Josh Trank apparently trashing the house he stayed in (and that’s only the tip of the iceberg) while filming the movie and not being able to deal with the scope of it all (which may have led to his parting of the ways with Disney over his Star Wars directing gig).
What do you guys think? Will things get worse the more that comes out about the making of Fantastic Four?
(via Superhero News)