Netflix and DreamWorks Animation have teamed up to bring us Voltron: Legendary Defender, a reboot of sorts of the 1980s cartoon series that used to make my afternoons when I returned home from school (my fave was the Black Lion), and the first full trailer has finally dropped!
According to a report at Entertainment Weekly, the show will kick off on June 10 with an hourlong premiere followed by ten 22-minute episodes (aka, it’ll be a 13-episode season). All episodes will be streaming on that date.
The original anime series titled Voltron: Defender of the Universe ran between 1984 and 1985 and featured the adventures of five Earth teenagers piloting five robotic lions forming together to become Voltron.
EW has a rundown of the characters from Team Voltron featured in the new series, and you can have a look at the list below, but first, check out the trailer:
Here's the character rundown:
• Princess Allura – Kimberly Brooks (Ben 10: Omniverse, Justice League: War)
• Coran, the chief advisor to the princess – Rhys Darby (What We Do in the Shadows, Flight of the Conchords)
• Shiro, Black Lion pilot – Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series, Transformers Prime)
• Hunk, Yellow Lion pilot – Tyler Labine (Reaper, Tucker & Dale vs. Evil)
• Lance, Blue Lion pilot – Jeremy Shada (Finn in Adventure Time, Batman: The Brave and the Bold)
• Pidge, Green Lion pilot – Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow, Scream: The Series, iZombie)
• Keith, Red Lion pilot – Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead, The Legend of Korra)
Executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos said of the complete wackiness behind the idea of making a big robot out of five robot lions:
“Our teens are reacting to the insane idea [that] there’s a giant intergalactic war going on, and now they’re going to pilot five lions that become a larger robot, and one lion will wear another as a … well, as a boot …” Dos Santos says. “Our characters respond to the notion that this is an absolutely crazy idea.”
I wonder if they'll say: “Form feet and legs! Form hands and body! And I’ll form the head!” Are you looking forward to the first season of Voltron: Legendary Defender come June 10?