If you were expecting anyone not named Harrison Ford (*cough* Chris Pratt *cough*) to ever pick up Indiana Jones’ trademark bullwhip and fedora, it looks like it’s never gonna happen.
Legendary Indiana Jones producer Frank Marshall was on hand for a Q&A on Monday night, after being named CinemaCon’s producer of the decade, and he opened up about the upcoming entry into the Indy movie franchise that will see star Harrison Ford reunite with director Steven Spielberg for Indiana Jones 5.
While there, Marshall was asked by Variety about the possibilities of even more sequels featuring the 73-year-old actor as everyone’s favorite archaeologist. Here’s what Marshall said:
“It’s all about the story. I think both in the ‘Jason Bourne’ series and on ‘Indiana Jones,’ we are not going to do the Bond thing,” Marshall said, referring to rotating different actors through the title roles in the two franchises that he oversees. “We think those characters are iconic, and those are the only actors who can play that.”
Looks like Marshall -- who is echoing the sentiments expressed by Spielberg late last year -- is forgetting that Indy was actually played by four other actors throughout the years, including the late River Phoenix in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), as well as Corey Carrier, Sean Patrick Flannery and George Hall in The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1992-1993). But I think we can all get his meaning.
Marshall then went on to say that the next Indiana Jones won’t be a prequel (I think that was pretty much a given) and that it will pick up where we left off in 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. As long as we can skip or recast Shia LaBeouf's Mutt, I'm in.
Indiana Jones 5 is currently on track for a July 19, 2019, release, with screenwriter David Koepp having been tapped to pen the new script. Koepp previously wrote the screenplays for Jurassic Park, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.