justice_league_cyborg_01.jpg
More info i
Credit: Warner Bros.

Ray Fisher doubles down on Joss Whedon allegations: ‘We are going to get to the heart of everything’

Contributed by
Jul 25, 2020, 7:02 PM EDT (Updated)

After a short stint playing Cyborg in two DC movies (so far) and recently making controversial comments about the filming of Justice League, actor Ray Fisher was the focus of a livestreamed interview on Saturday (July 25) at Justice Con.

But first, what is Justice Con? In brief, it is a fan-organized event happening this weekend — yes, happening simultaneously with Comic-Con@Home — that is focused pretty much exclusively on Zack Snyder's Justice League film and the now-official Snyder Cut that will be released via HBO Max next year.

The confirmation of the Snyder Cut's eventual arrival has not just vindicated fans who have been campaigning for the project for three years, but recently sparked Fisher to speak about alleged abuse that he and the rest of the cast suffered at the hands of Joss Whedon, who wrote and directed extensive reshoots on Justice League after Snyder stepped away due to a family tragedy.

Asked about his comments on the livestream, Fisher said, "Obviously I put out some pretty strong words and comments about Joss Whedon, and every single one of those words, every single one of those comments, is true."

Hinting that a "process ... is being undergone to get to the heart of what I'm talking about," Fisher continued: "The man is probably scared, and he should be, because we are going to get to the heart of everything — everything — that went down."

Fisher also doubled down on his insistence that studio execs at Warner Bros. Pictures — specifically mentioning then-DC boss Jon Berg — not only enabled but did nothing to stop Whedon's alleged abuses. 

"There is a certain amount of abuse, a certain amount of behavior that one is willing to tolerate, and once it gets beyond that point, you've got to go ahead and deal with it. So when you take those grievances to people who are in charge and they do nothing about it, or they try to placate you and not deal with the issues, eventually you're going to have to say something," Fisher said.

Speaking specifically about Berg, who issued his own statement pushing back against Fisher's claims, Fisher said, "His denial of enabling the situation was asinine, it was tone-deaf, and it was completely disrespectful to the situation at hand. That man is scared, and he should also be."

Fisher also challenged Whedon head-on, saying, "If anything I've said about that man is untrue, I invite him to sue me for libel, slander, anything." (Whedon's own Friday panel at Comic-Con@Home, meanwhile, was quietly canceled.)

Not only has Fisher drawn the support of fans for whom Whedon's alleged behavior has become a flashpoint, but he's also become a real-life hero to fans for his early support of the Snyder Cut.

"More than anything I'm in shock and awe and proud of the people that contributed to getting the Snyder Cut released," he said earlier in the livestream. "There's no way any of this would have happened without the support of the fans and the individuals involved ... This is going down in cinematic history for a lot of different reasons."

The actor, who made his feature-film debut as a relative unknown with a brief appearance in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, also explained why he feels the need to take on the mantle of going up against not just Whedon, but studio executives and certain Hollywood practices in general.

"I've got the least amount to lose when it comes to that," he explained. "I don't have to provide for a family. I've got a very simple lifestyle to maintain. So when you think about these characters and what they stand for, truth and justice and all that, you have to ask yourself, is this just a part I'm playing or is this something I really believe?"

The Snyder Cut of Justice League will premiere in 2021 on HBO Max.

Make Your Inbox Important

Like Comic-Con. Except every week in your inbox.

Sign-up breaker