MST3K, Jonah Ray

MST3K host Jonah Ray posts Rock-ing 'audition' for Jumanji sequel, cast responds

Contributed by
Dec 26, 2018

When it comes to scoring the Jumanji sequel, Henry Jackman may have some competition.

For those of you that have been watching and enjoying the new seasons of Mystery Science Theater 3000, you know that host Jonah Ray (as Jonah Heston) is a perfect successor to Joel Hodgson and Michael J. Nelson. But after mastering the art of watching movies and making fun of them, Jonah apparently wants to branch out with his other passion: music. Taking a (tequila-inspired?) risk, he posted a video on his Twitter account to the cast of Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle about performing the in-game music for the sequel.

If you watched the first film, you know that when inside the game, composer Henry Jackman’s music is very percussion-heavy. If they are looking to lighten the mood for the next time, Jonah’s ONE instrument will be the perfect transition. And some big-name cast members seem to feel the same way.

Karen Gillan (Ruby Roundhouse) responded with just two words:

 

... while the Rock himself, Dwayne Johnson (Dr. Smolder Bravestone), went so far as to tell Jonah a specific part of the movie where he wants the music played:


Even though we are roughly 75 percent sure (the other 25 percent is our belief that awesome things can happen) this is all in good fun, we at least learn that the Jumanji sequel will start shooting in eight weeks. The film has a December 2019 release date, and even though Christmas is just behind us, it’s never too early to get excited for next year. What better present for MST3K fans than the words “Music by Jonah Ray”?

The Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle sequel is scheduled to open in theaters December 13, 2019. MST3K: The Gauntlet is currently streaming on Netflix.

Make Your Inbox Important

Get our newsletter and you’ll be delivered the most interesting stories, videos and interviews weekly.

Sign-up breaker
Sign out: