GettyImages-542422858

Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek movie is ‘years’ from beaming into theaters, says Simon Pegg

Contributed by
Jul 30, 2018

While space travel has the benefit of treating time frames like taffy, expanding and contracting eons into mere moments, the filmmaking process itself doesn’t enjoy quite the same luxury. Even as the Star Trek Beyond cast coalesces around S.J. Clarkson’s follow-up feature, though, there’s another much talked-about Star Trek movie in Paramount Pictures' pipeline — but it’s beginning to sound as if we’ll all be sporting a few more wrinkles and gray hairs by the time it actually arrives.

Beyond co-writer Simon Pegg, who since 2009 has played the Montgomery “Scotty” Scott role originally cemented by James Doohan in the 1960s TV series, recently said Quentin Tarantino’s R-rated trip aboard the Enterprise is definitely still in the works — but there might be a big catch for fans of the ship’s current crew. 

Cautioning that Tarantino likely will remain preoccupied with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, his current project based on the Charles Manson murders, Peg said it could be half a decade or more before we lay eyes on Tarantino’s Star Trek. By then, he added, the present cast may be “too old” to be on board.

“Quentin’s idea is another thing [from the S.J. Clarkson version],” Pegg told the  Edmonton Journal. “He came in to [J.J. Abrams’] Bad Robot and pitched it and it’s been put in the bank. I think he had us in mind when he came up with the idea; he likes the new cast. But he’s going to be so busy with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood that I can’t see him doing it for five or six years, by which time we might be too old anyway.”

Pegg’s remarks seem to both corroborate and evolve those of fellow cast member Zachary Quinto (Spock), who recently said he assumes the Tarantino version will be made with the current cast — even though there are no guarantees.

“…[U]ntil deals are done and contracts are signed and schedules are cleared, nothing is set in stone, so anything can happen,“ he said on a recent episode of the Happy Sad Confused podcast. “My understanding is that Quentin had this idea and they were shaping it and forming it and he’s off to do his Manson movie. After that, we would maybe go and do one with him, which is pretty exciting.”

If all this talk of long waits and possible cast turnover sounds a little gloomy, perhaps it’s worth remembering that Pegg himself is totally excited about whatever Tarantino might have up his sleeve — even if it’ll be a while before the rest of us get to see it. 

“It won’t be ordinary, it’ll have him all over it, but it won’t be anything a Star Trek fan will have to worry about,” he said earlier this year, assuring that one thing Q.T.’s Star Trek definitely won’t be is a “Pulp Fiction in space.”

Development on the next installment — the Clarkson-directed one — is still in its infancy, with Clarkson having been revealed only three months ago as the movie franchise’s first-ever female director. Stay tuned for updates on both projects as we wait to see where Captain Kirk and the Enterprise will boldly go next.