Trekkies, set your phasers for stun.
That's because Paramount chairman-CEO Jim Gianopulos broke the big news on Wednesday at CinemaCon that the studio has not one but two new Star Trek movies in the works, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
After the less-than-stellar box-office performance of Star Trek Beyond, which failed to keep pace with the J.J. Abrams-rebooted 2009 Star Trek and its 2013 sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness, the announcement of multiple sequels to Abram's so-called Kelvin timeline is a bold step forward for Paramount.
But it's one fans have been pining for given the flurry of news that studio partner Skydance has three different scripts in various stages of development.
No word yet on exactly what the two installments are about, but what we know so far sounds promising.
One potential Trek adventure is currently being written by Star Trek: Beyond co-writers Doug Jung and Simon Pegg, the latter of whom, of course, plays Scotty in the series. Another in the pipeline is from the writing team of Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne, who worked on an early draft of Beyond.
But stoking the most anticipation was last December's Deadline report that Quentin Tarantino pitched an R-rated Star Trek film to Abrams and Paramount that the Pulp Fiction writer-director suggested he would helm.
Pegg, however, threw cold water on that idea, saying he didn't think Tarantino had time given his busy schedule.
“I don’t think Quentin is going to direct it,” the actor told the Happy Sad Confused podcast recently. “Because he’s got in his California movie (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood with Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt) to do, and then I think only doing one more film after that. And I doubt, I don’t think he could get around to directing a Star Trek in two-three years."
While Tarantino getting behind the camera for a Trek adventure may sound far-fetched, Paramount's taking the filmmaker's proposed flick seriously enough that it reportedly hired The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith to join a writers' room that Abrams has assembled to help flesh it out and kick around new concepts.
Other screenwriters said to be participating in the brainstorming session included Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3) and Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking).
For his part, the man behind the franchise's modern-day Spock, Zachary Quinto, told ET Canada that he and the rest of the cast were "in a state of anticipation" about the idea of working with Quentin. But they were in the dark about which of the three scripts would be the next to make it to the big screen.
Whichever story gets the green light, the next Star Trek movie won't be beaming into theaters until 2019 at the earliest.