Video gamer killed by blood clot after playing Halo too much

Contributed by
Jul 4, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT

Halo just got real—real deadly. The videogame that's insinuated itself into the lives of millions has inadvertently killed a man. The long-term effects of playing Halo for hours and hours has led someone to an early grave.

A 20-year-old British man named Chris Staniforth died last May from a condition called deep vein thrombosis, which is caused by sitting in the same spot for an extremely long period. Prior to his death, Staniforth spent up to 12 hours at a time playing Halo on his Xbox.

According to the coroner, "There was a blood clot that formed in Staniforth's leg that moved up to his lungs to cause a fatal pulmonary embolism." Even though his gaming habits sound like the main cause of death, Staniforth's dad, David, doesn't blame Microsoft for the unfortunate incident.

He said, "After my research I saw there was no difference to Chris sitting at a desk on his Xbox and someone on a long-haul flight." Microsoft, the company that produces the Xbox, claims that they always encourage gamers to take breaks from playing throughout the day.

Do you hear that, guys? It doesn't matter if you're playing videogames, sitting at desk, writing or typing—stretch! Walk around and get your blood flowing. We know it's easy to get caught up in competition, but do it. It could save your life!

(via Huffington Post)