Walmart's relationship with DC Comics and their 100-Page Giants line has been a successful one, so much so that they are increasing the line from four titles to six. Starting on February 17, The Flash 100-Page Giant #1 and The Swamp Thing 100-Page Giant #1 will join Superman and Batman on the Walmart racks.
Another change in the lineup is the Teen Titans and Justice League of America 100-Page Giants will be re-titled to Titans 100-Page Giant and Wonder Woman 100-Page Giant respectively, and come out with #1 issues as well on this date. Each issue will retail at $4.99 and feature original stories by Tim Seeley, Gail Simone, Joëlle Jones, Mike Perkins, and Clayton Henry. Also included with each issue are the curated reprints selected from DC Comics initiatives such as DC Rebirth, the New 52, the New Age of Heroes amongst others.
“DC has been incredibly successful in attracting new readers through its relationship with Walmart,” said Nancy Spears, VP, Mass Book, Digital Sales and Trade Marketing in a statement.
“These two titles are the perfect extensions to the Walmart line, given the successful Flash television show and the popularity of last October’s Swamp Thing Halloween Horror Special.” Let's not forget the upcoming Swamp Thing series in development for the budding digital service, DC Universe. Also, rebranding the Teen Titans 100-Page Giant to Titans, likely underlines the strengthening of that franchise, to further support the Titans series on DC Universe as well. Any bets on the switch from Justice Leage of America to Wonder Woman is due to response to the Justice League and Wonder Woman feature films?
So what stories are going to be featured in each release?
Swamp Thing 100-Page Giant #1
• "Desert of Ash" Part 1 of 12 written by Tim Seeley and art by Mike Perkins
Features Swamp Thing and his witch companion Briar as they face pyromaniac Char Man who can control flames, a power granted by the elemental spririts of fire itself.
• Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Dan Green's "The Hunt" from Animal Man.
• Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette's "Raise Dem Bones" from New 52 Swamp Thing.
• "Death in a Small Town" featuring Detective Chimp and Shadowpact
• Cover by Greg Capullo and FCO Plascencia
• Also in Swamp Thing 100-Page Giant #2 and #3, a two-part story by Seely and artist Joëlle Jones will introduces a "terrifying and potentially supernatural slasher stalking the swamps of Lousiana.
The Flash 100-Page Giant #1
• Writer Gail Simone and artist Clayton Henry's 12-part "Glass Houses" story debuts about Barry Allen going up against Mirror Master.
• Classic tales from the New 52 run of Flash. by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato
• A 2004 Adam Strange story by Andy Diggle and Pasqual Ferry
• Geoff Johns and Gary Frank's New 52 "rebirth" of Shazam
• Cover by Clayton Henry with Marcelo Maiolo
Titans 100-Page Giant #1
• Continues Dan Jurgens, Scot Eaton, and Wayne Faucher's ongoing Titans story.
• Reprint of a story from Geoff Johns and Tom Grummett's 2004 Teen Titans run.
• Reprint of Peter Tomasi's Super Sons from 2017's DC Rebirth.
• Dan DiDio, Kenneth Rocafort and Max Raynor's Sideways from the New Age of Heroes
• Cover by Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund, and Alex Sinclair
Wonder Woman 100-Page Giant #1
• Besides re-numbering and the new title, the contents will remain the same, including the Wonder Woman story by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Tom Derenick and Chad Hardin.
• New 52 Aquaman "flashback" story by Geoff Johns
• "Who is Wonder Woman?" by Allen Heinberg, Rachel Dodson and Terry Dodson
• Cover by Chad Hardin and Alex Sinclair