How Hot Was #WayHaught: Season 3, Episode 3
Aside from the all of the demon-slaying, witty one-liners, and everyone's favorite doughnut-scarfing-crazy-chick-with-a-gun, Wynonna Earp Seasons 1 and 2 introduced us Wayhaught: the burgeoning relationship of Waverly and Nicole. There have been ups (the in flagrante pre-coital lift from 203. swayt jaysus) and there have been downs (Rosita in a hot tub. why hast thou forsaken us), but like any amazing rollercoaster we're screaming and shouting the whole way through.
In celebration of all things #WayHaught, we're going to chronicle their budding relationship in our continuing weekly series. We will answer the fundamental question that will be on your mind every Friday: How Hot Was WayHaught? Think of it like an episode recap, with pictures, and gifs, and all things #Wayhaught.
Episode 3 saw the emotional aftermath of Dolls' death, a mortician put in his place, and a huge reveal from Nicole about her past. Let's dive in.
- Either someone just ate the last chocolate sprinkle doughnut or Wynonna is experiencing some life-changing sadness and grief. (NB: that joke is probably in poor taste but I deal with the awkwardness of emotional discomfort by cracking awkward jokes, and, as you'll see soon, people deal with grief in different ways. So, for now, just let me have my snark. It's my greatest weapon in confronting the overwhelming fear of my own mortality.)
- Actual footage of me attacking the work week. Seriously, though, I love Wynonna's reaction here, Peacemaker is way to good for this turd of a revenant, so she goes for the knuckle sandwich. No one talks about Dolls that way and escapes without a dickshot and with a little back up from WayHaught that's exaclty what this butt acne of a revenant gets.
- All of the emotional hangover that the gang is experiencing capured in a photo. Everything is raw right now. Dolls, we all miss your humor, loyalty, smile, genuinely good heart, and your smell. I don't actually know what you smell like, but I'm 100% sure it's sandalwood. Definitely sandalwood.
- I was totally ready to not be on board with Kate after the great hot tub debacle of 2017. But this coy look and line combo won me over. She just wants to meet Doc's friends, and who wouldn't?! Doc has the coolest friends! I'm sure there aren't any other ulterior motives here, right? This is all completely innocent, I'm sure.
- Clapback of the season. Nicole takes down the heteronormative assumptions of a mortician with the stunning casual death stare of a Khaleesi in her prime. Chills.
- Yes, people deal with grief in different ways. I, for example, resort to doughnut humor (A very real brand of wit. There are dozens of us, ok!). Waverly gets the giggles. One of the most emotionally powerful components of this episode was highlighting the different ways that people experience loss. Wynonna with despair and anger. Doc with fury. Waverly with laughter. Nicole with reflection. The loss of a loved one is so painful, and that pain finds different means of expression in everyone. This episode showcased that beautifully.
- One of the most overused, and frankly, lazy tropes in film and television is when someone reveals a sensitive secret to their partner, and the receiver of said secret responds with, "How could you keep this from me?!" Waverly's response to Nicole's past trauma and her guilt with Dolls' death is the exact opposite of this horribly selfish line: "It's okay. You're safe." You two are so perfect.
- After all of the sadness, and anger, and guilt, and loss, and pain, we've so earned this.
- "Okay, you've called her hot twice now!" Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Still, innocent until proven guilty, and I'm hoping that Kate will be more of a Doc than a Rosita in the WayHaught saga. Let's keep a close eye on this one, gang.
- Screw the fact that my girlfriend snuck out the back door of the party without me, where's the vodka? Nicole, you are my patronus. I'm seriously loving this non-jealous version of WayHaught, it really shows how much they've grown as a couple. Also, that is the same sweater from 201 where Waverly saw Nicole's underboob. Important.
- Did anyone else just feel dirty after seeing Jeremy get tortured? It was like watching someone kick a puppy. Jeremy is an perfect apple strudel pastry and he must be protected.
- A beautiful moment. A beautiful memory. *pours one out for one's homie*
VERDICT: Feels like I need about 16 hours of sleep to recover from the emotional highs and lows of that episode. WayHaught continues to make very real strides in their relationship, whether it be powerful emotional support or not submitting to jealousy. We're still on the lookout for some physical connection circa Season 2 Episode 2, but that can wait (just not too long). Until then...