Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - Airs Saturday, October 1 at 11/10c on Syfy.
Want a full resume for all the Sweeney Todd actors? There’s an IMDB app for that. But if you want little known - and random - fun facts on all things Sweeney Todd, then you’re in the right place.
1. Although Sweeney Todd wasn’t a real person (or was he?) the address of the infamous barber’s shop, 186 Fleet Street, is totally for realsies. If you’re ever in London, stop by and get some copies made at what’s now the Dundeee Courier building.
2. Even though Johnny Depp showed impressive vocal range in Sweeney and he’s jammed on stage with the likes of Oasis, Marilyn Manson and Keith Richards, Johnny told Glamour UK that he hates with a capital “HATES” it when actors become musicians. Depp said, “The whole idea for me is a sickening thing. It's always just made me sick." Well, if you ever change your mind, Johnny, we’ll support you!
3. “Benjamin Barker!”, Sweeney Todd’s real name, is now the name of an Australian based menswear line that sells suits, ties and the like for distinguished gentleman.
4. The goth-inspired looks of the costumes were purely coincidental. When creating the looks for Sweeney, costume designer, Colleen Atwood, said that she was mostly inspired by old black and white movies.
5. Much like Sweeney and Mrs. Lovrette, Helena Bonham Carter and her then boyfriend, director Tim Burton were neighbors too. When they were a couple, they lived next door to each other in adjoining residences in London, sharing a connecting hallway. We wonder if they ever baked any pies on the weekends.