Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
Unconventional Gods Among Us
Inspired by The Magicians' Lady Underground, here's a list of other gods who ain't your grandma's deities.
Garcelle Beauvais who plays Lady Underground (a God) on The Magicians got us to thinking about other times when Jesus didn't look quite like the hippie superstar we've come to know in modern times. With that in mind, here's a list that features notable moments in film and TV when God and gods manifested in various forms.
1. Our Lady as Lady Underground in The Magicians
Without intending to be, Lady Underground (Garcelle Beauvais) is more fashionable and sultry than any Our Lady (as in The Blessed **Virgin** Mary) who has come before her.
2. God as a dinosaur/monkey/squirrel? thing in South Park
This isn't the image that comes to mind when we recall our days in Sunday School.
3. God as an adorable and funny old man in Oh, God!
Given that God is thousands of years old, it makes sense that He was long in the tooth in this depiction.
4. God as a rockstar in Dogma
Isn't it ironic?
5. Zeus as a lady, Hera as a man in Lost Girl
Dude looks like a lady and lady is inhabiting the body of a dude. It's Lost Girl-- a show about a succubus and the underground world of Fae, so just go with it.
6. God as a cranky animation in the sky in Monty Python: Holy Grail
God and Terry Gilliam be praised!
7. God as a drunken angry Dwarf in Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV
God has mysterious ways and the movie Toxie had mysterious casting.
8. God as a genie (of sorts) in A Little Bit of Heaven and God as The Boss/Creator of the Universe in A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
When you really think about it, Whoopi Goldberg is The Boss of us all.
9. God as The Supreme Being in Time Bandits
Clarissa who? The Supreme Being is the one who explains it all!
10. God is our own image in 24 Hour Party People
Tony Wilson see's God and He looks like…Tony Wilson.
11. God is hilarious in Superstar
The clip doesn't do Will's performance justice, but you get the drift.
12. God as Cher in Will & Grace
But really, who else would Jack - or the rest of us for that matter- pray to?