Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, sweepstakes, and more!
WIRE Buzz: The Batman to resume production; Archer spies S11 teaser; Back to Hogwarts Day
Per Variety, the high-profile comic book film will pick up at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden just outside of London — the same place where the Harry Potter movies were shot. Crew members have reportedly been constructing sets throughout August. Other blockbusters (like James Cameron's Avatar sequels in New Zealand and Jurassic World: Dominion also in the U.K.) have already resumed their productions amid the ongoing health crisis.
Before being placed on indefinite hold, The Batman had completed a quarter of its entire shooting schedule. According to Variety, it has three months of material left to film and if all goes well (fingers crossed), it could wrap up by the end of 2020. Nevertheless, WB made the choice to delay its theatrical release from July 2021 to October 2021. In April, Reeves (who co-wrote the DC-inspired screenplay with Project Power's Mattson Tomlin) said he was using the hiatus to fine tune certain set pieces.
Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse, Tenet) is stepping into the role of Bruce Wayne, portraying a younger version of Gotham City's Caped Crusader. The supporting cast features Zoë Kravitz ("Catwoman"), Paul Dano ("Riddler"), Jeffrey Wright ("Commissioner Gordon"), John Turturro ("Carmine Falcone"), Peter Sarsgaard ("Gotham DA Gil Colson"), Jayme Lawson (Gotham mayoral hopeful "Bella Reál"), Andy Serkis ("Alfred Pennyworth"), and Colin Farrell ("Penguin").
"He's an extraordinarily talented director, who’s incredibly precise with his choices," Greig Fraser, director of photography told SYFY WIRE about Reeves in April. "He’s such an asset to have for the Batman franchise because he understands Batman so deeply ... Matt and I have talked a lot [about it], but it’s the type of thing that I think that probably should refer back to what he said about how the film is. Effectively, he’s talking about it as a noir detective [story], so that’s probably all I can give you on that."
It's time to get back to the "good ol' days" of espionage in the latest teaser for Season 11 of Archer. The genre-hopping period is over and the gang (led by H. Jon Benjamin's Sterling Archer) is getting back to their suave, spy-craft roots. Bulletproof suit jackets, tequila, tuxedoes, and casual "office gunplay" are just a few of the crazy things that await you in this small round of footage, which you can check out below.
Aisha Tyler ("Lana"), Chris Parnell ("Cyril"), Judy Greer ("Cheryl"), Amber Nash ("Pam"), Lucky Yates (Krieger), Adam Reed ("Ray Gillette"), and Jessica Walter ("Malory Archer") return as the core voice cast.
"There was something really exciting about getting back to the real world with everybody, it was super fun," Nash said during Comic-Con@Home last month.
Archer's Season 11 premiere will debut on FXX Wednesday, Sep. 16 before hitting FX on Hulu the following day. Simon Pegg and Jamie Lee Curtis are confirmed as special guest stars.
Even J.K. Rowling's magical world is going virtual in response to COVID-19. Today, WizardingWorld.com announced a slew of Harry Potter-related programming in the run-up to "Back to Hogwarts Day" between Saturday, Aug. 29 and Tuesday, Sep. 1.
The latter date (traditionally the day on which the Hogwarts Express leaves Platorm 9 3/4 at Kings Cross for the legendary school of witchcraft and wizardry) will see the launch of the first-ever "Back to Hogwarts Livestream." On the big day, you should expect trivia challenges and special appearances from Potter alums like James and Oliver Phelps (known for playing the Weasley twins) and the cast of Cursed Child. You can even submit a photo of yourself for a "Back to Hogwarts — Class of 2020" mosaic that will grow throughout the day.
The event schedule between Saturday, Aug. 29 - Monday Aug. 31 includes:
- Insights from some of the creative masterminds responsible for bringing the magic to life on screen, including genius wand choreographer Paul Harris demonstrating Wand Combat tricks, and dynamic design duo MinaLima, who created the brand-new virtual Back to Hogwarts 2020 celebration artwork.
- Being transported from the muggle-world into the magical one by listening to the Journeys to Hogwarts Soundscape, A Harry Potter immersive audio experience featuring all the sounds you’d hear on that iconic journey. Simply close your eyes and let your imagination roam.
- A CineConcerts performance featuring orchestras from around the world playing memorable musical selections from each of the eight Harry Potter films at home.
- The last chance to catch the complete set of celebrity readings of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (accessible exclusively for registered members of the Harry Potter Fan Club for just a few more weeks).
- A host of Hogwarts-themed inspiring craft ideas and creative tutorials for all ages- from baking your own Shepherd’s Pie, Leaky Cauldron style; building your own Hogwarts castle with paper craft; or testing your knowledge in the Hogwarts quiz.
- Between Aug. 29 and Aug. 30, USA and SYFY are hosting a Harry Potter marathon of all eight film adaptations.